A postpartum, or postnatal, doula is an unbiased, non-judgmental support person who takes care of you in your home, allowing you to take care of your baby. It is not a cleaner, it is not a cook, it is not a babysitter, and it is not your mum. But it IS a little bit of all of these things.
Whether you are a first-time mum or a mother of children already, a postpartum doula can help by:
- Preparing nourishing meals to help you heal, give you energy and satisfy your taste buds;
- Supporting your breastfeeding/ feeding goals with information and tips to start thinking about BEFORE baby is born;
- Providing an experienced ear to hear your concerns, reassure you in your choices, and recognise where there may be need for assistance;
- Doing light housework duties that you’d rather not do, or don’t have time for, while you enjoy a cuppa and a snack of your choice;
- Ensuring you are making time for self-care and helping you to build your village… ALL of which will improve your confidence (and happiness!) in the postpartum period